Stefan Sagmeister inspires this assignment with his ‘Touch Someone’s Heart’ advice. He wants to actively get his students to find a way of 1) touching an individual 2) touching a group/community and 3) the world.
He gives advice on how to design to touch someone’s heart:
• Designs that needed guts from the creator and still carry the ghost of these guts in the final execution
• Designs that evoke memories
• Designs that are viewable over and over again and again
• Beautiful designs
• Designs whose craft levels are very high (the unbelievebalility that somebody can be so good at something)
• Extremely labour intensive designs
• Personalised designs
We got split into groups to determine a possible issue or concern around campus to be able to use as a channel for touching hearts with design.
In our group we immediatley saw a trend in our mindmap. Examples of constants are: Canteen Workers, Cooks, Security Guards, Receptionists etc. We all agreed that a good route to take would be “who are they?” or what I thought was something about ghosts, relating to not really being noticeable as they are in the background.