Deadlines fast approaching. Got to be decisive and get moving with this Assignment.
I began to think about what a profile actually is, so I looked it up with dictionary.com and got this:
“To produce or present a history, description, or analysis of.” (Along with the words in the title)
The general jist of a Profile is to describe and portray something through creating an image (visually or in a descriptive way).
The Something is me but how can I portray me through an image?
I started by thinking about who I am:
- I like movies
- I want to be a Graphic Designer
- I love G.D work from the 1950’s – 1960’s
- I enjoy doodling and love my cartoons
This was my starting point for my initial planning step.
1) From what I can remember, a little like a piece of art I have seen a while back from the late 50s/early 60s
2) A bright, childlike colour (blue/orange) for the speech bubble. If I build on the idea could show me as a Graphic Designer
3) Like the Hitch movie poster (a film I like, very simple cover but could transcribe well into this assignment)
4) I love the style of Russian Propaganda. Possible for me to show what I enjoy as a style?
5) Me on a background of something I have drawn. I drew a scenery but could easily have some sort of animal drawn in and reacting with me
I am well aware I am running short on time so got my brother’s camera again to take some more images. I set up the Fully Manual SLR (I used For Dummies guide to setting up a DSLR to help) and just got him to press the shutter button. The images I took before were okay as stock but they weren’t interesting enough, which limited my possibilities. Here is the Profile Image I produced from my first camera shoot:
It’s not terrible but not great either, so I scraped that idea and thought more laterally than just simply editing an image of me. I considered background, surroundings, facial expressions, messages and style. Already the ideas from this hold a lot more potential!
Above: The set up (the orange wire is a fog light, faced the other way so it wasn’t so intense on the face and removed details)
Below: The contact sheet of the images I took second time round (note the range in poses, distance and expression to my first shoot)
Also, saved as .SRF (RAW) files for optimum image quality.
I have work tonight but intend to spend all of tomorrow (Tues 15th Nov) and the day after if required on producing the Profile image.