The Process of Getting My Idea
I began by deciding on a theme- Mocking Self-Help Books and then choosing an audience. Choosing an audience was really the point that made the ideas flow, narrowed down my target, making this all so much easier. I chose 30-40 year olds, who have given up a lot of their dreams for other people (spouses, children..)
- Change – The most basic message
- Buy Me or Continue With Your Life – Suggests the idea that their life will change
- 30 and Pissing Your Life Away- Harsh Truth
- U-Turn- Linking to the idea of life as a journey, turn it around
- Just Another Self-Help Book- Basic, funny message
- Mr. Smith Bought This Book- if you look below one of my sketches is a line graph, it reaches a point (buying this book) and splits. It shows the idea of bettering your life with this book.
- School Runs & Mortgages- Focal on the idea of 30-something and in a rut.
I liked the idea of “School Runs & Mortgages” because almost every at that age is in that routine. Everyone can relate to it but I did feel it needed to be more obvious that it wasn’t a “How To…” book or something like that. I thought a good way to do that was by calling it
“School Runs, Mortgages & 10 Ways To Keep Sane”.
I then began to think about functions and how the book might work. Initially I thought of the pages getting longer as they went on, to create the impression of steps. But then I realised that for this to work it can’t be a series steps, the whole point of this book is to get out of a routine and be unpredictable. I NEED to make this book random somehow…
Much like Stefan Sagmeister’s book ‘things that have happened to me so far, in my life’, I thought that a box set filled with booklets would represent shaking it up and randomness pretty well.
The idea for the book, then, is to have a box.. Inside this box, 10 individually designed (and in no way looking relevant to each other) booklets. They have a number on the front and inside is a technique to ‘Keep You Sane’. Also inside, scientific views on the technique, along with reviews of it.
Also inside the box is around 3 ‘Catherine Wheels’ with tear-away numbers. The idea is that if you are feeling particularly overwhelmed with it all, you pick a random wheel and then a random tear-away. Do the technique in whichever numbered booklet is on the tear-away.
I just need to research into these techniques, get my text ready (articles inside booklet: scientific views and reviews on techniques), think about cover designs (box and booklets) and look into nets for the box. Also consider the relevance of the website in this.