I think that straight away our group clicked and overall we worked really well together. We all had our areas that we were best at. We immediately identified these and utilised them:
- Pete- Equipment and Shooting
- Danny- Storytelling/Script
- Me- Organising (I like to rally people together and make things happen- I have convinced myself this is a good skill to have…)
- Will- Editing
Danny somehow became in charge of story. She seemed best for the job as she kept coming up with strong ideas, we just had to wait for one that was doable within our time frame and cost restraints.
Once we had a story we thought about what props we would need and go them all together. Majority of them were things we had laying about and cost nothing. In all, we spent £16, £11 on the suit and £5 on the plunger (which almost didn’t make it into the shot, but I made sure the money I spent was worthwhile!!)
The storyboard is slightly wrong because we hadn’t clarified location 100% by that point. Also we added and removed some shots on the days of filming and in editing because we felt some weren’t working.
Didn’t film as much as I would have liked to. Although I did help, being in front of the camera limited the chance I had to actually be in control of shooting anything. Any parts I am not in shot, however, I did have influences on.
I think this process, which we initially planned 2 days for, took longer than it needed to. If, for example, we visiting the room we were filming in before the day of shooting to organise the scene (chairs, table etc.) and know settings for the lighting we would have saved a good 2 hours, which we could have used to refine some shots that we had to remove because they weren’t acted well.
The most notable scene removed was the staircase scene, in which MR SUTTON is obstructed by a guy with a big box. Although we agreed it didn’t work, it again split our group: Danny and Pete thought we should re-film it but me and Will thought that removing it all together made for a much more fast paced film.
The issue with it was that it was the point when things start to get a bit rushed and hectic, all other shorts a quick snappy ones and we only filmed one angle for this scene and it lasts around 15 seconds. It completely broke up the momentum that needed to be built up for the final punchline. Pete said we should re-shoot it from loads of different angles but when Will did an edit with the scene removed (I think) majority ruled that it worked without it altogether.
The other major issue in editing was the colour of some shots. We came across a major issue that almost every inside shot had a horrible orange tint to it, below is an example. The white balance was off and the irony was that we spent so long setting up the lights and they ended up doing more harm than good!
Again, Pete was trying to convince us to re-film and as bad as I felt that he wanted this project to be perfect and we were, perhaps, settling, we had other deadlines around this time and it didn’t make sense for us to waste another day re-doing it. Instead we left in the hands of Will (with Pete’s help) to get the balance right using After Effects’ and Final Cut’s features.
We planned a lot but I feel like we could and should have planned more. If I were to do this again I would make sure that every single detail was ironed out to avoid last-minute location dilemmas, time consuming lighting set-ups and other general filming debates- which in all just slow the process down, resulting of the rushing of some shots. And I think the rushing of these shots is apparent in the final piece…
I am really happy with our video though and I think what really helped us out was our eagerness to get going. This meant that we had time to go in the wrong direction, with the original ideas we had but were trying to fit a feature length story into 3 minutes. If we had left it to last minute we would not have been able to agree we were wrong and should start completely from scratch again.