Above are my 10 covers for the individual and random-order booklets. The intention is that they look nothing alike and in no way related to each other. The reason for that is to give a sense of broken routine.
I have been racking my brain for a decent idea on how the website can join in with the book.
My Initial Thoughts:
- An online tracker | I was unsure on how to do this.
- I then considered a fun website to cheer you up | poor basis for an entire website.
- Reviews on the techniques | this will be in side the booklet.
My Actual Idea:
A Four-Page site- 1) Home 2) Tracker 3) Live Reviews 4) Fun
- Description of Website, Advert for Book…
- A Print Out of a chart and instructions on how to track progress.
- Rather than having the reviews in the book, a constant stream of people choosing their favourite technique and saying why. Also a chart saying which one is most popular.
- Video of the Week.
Joke of the Day.
A large ‘A Thousand Words’ box- a funny picture that when you open it up it makes you smile.
(All with a link to an archive of previous weeks)
How to Track Progress:
1. Print month off
2. Fill out the fields (technique used/did it work etc.)
3. When you feel ready, which one was most beneficial? Loose the ‘Random Technique Deciding Dice’ begin make your own routine up with the most productive of the 10.
Above is a general idea of how I would like my inside spreads to look at this point. The idea is to have an image on the left hand side that depicts the act. On the right will be a description of it, a scientific explanation, peoples reviews (out of 10 stars) and more.
My concern is that if all the inside spreads are the same, it cancels out the idea of randomness and uniqueness. Perhaps just reorder the boxes on the right page..
In my head, I initially saw the right hand page as a photograph and then I had the idea of a constant mascot that was depicting the act in all 10 booklets. Much like the ‘Change 4 Life’ plasticine men:
Rather than making the map fainter I gave it a fairly heavy Vignette to define it from the face a little more. I like this one because it’s pretty clear that he is part of the city and, the way I have made the face, almost looks like he is blending into it. Also the map in the background re-enforces the driving aspect of it.
Completely and utterly disheartened by seeing some of the other entries that just our course has to offer, I managed to muster the inspiration to give my covers a few last changes and I feel they are as best as I can possibly get them now, before the deadline:
Above: I just responded to the feed back of the tutorial and removed some of the cartoony colour and made it feel more ominous. I’m not a massive fan of the first one but the second one has a completely different (and I’d say better) feel. There is a subtle split-personality element as well as the integration into the city.
Below: This one took a lot longer than it should have/ looks like it took, but I think it is a great example of the message- part of the city. If I had to choose one of the below images, I say I prefer the right one as it is a nice balance of simplicity and complexity. The left image just feels like there is too much happening- but is that what makes it better?
It was suggested to me that I lower the opacity of the map and add a blur to it but it just seemed as though it’s an eyesore and if you need to make it less visible, why’s it there anyway?
I think that straight away our group clicked and overall we worked really well together. We all had our areas that we were best at. We immediately identified these and utilised them:
- Pete- Equipment and Shooting
- Danny- Storytelling/Script
- Me- Organising (I like to rally people together and make things happen- I have convinced myself this is a good skill to have…)
- Will- Editing
This is one project I really connected with. I had an image in my head, of how it would look, and I think it is almost spot on to what I imagined!
Below (Left) is my key influence in terms of style and (Right) my video.
I obviously had a few issues. Obtaining a soundtrack that built up in my 30 second window, was one major one. I sent out emails asking for permissions- got no replies.
Another was sound effects. I spent an entire day looking for sounds that fit well and annoyingly the sound is something always taken for granted, and the effort taken to get it right is never noticed.